A food lover and Stay-At-Home-Mom's tales and recipes from her kitchen
Spinach Tortellini with Sweet Sausage and Asparagus
* 3 12 oz. packages of Fresh Spinach Tortellini
* 8-10 fresh Italian Sweet Sausage Links
* 1 1/2 c. frozen Asparagus Spears, halved
* 1 28 oz. can Crushed Tomatoes
* 1/3 c.plus 2 T. plus 1 T. Olive Oil, separated
*1/4 c. Onion, finely chopped
* 1/4 c. White Wine
* 1 c. Chicken Broth
* 1 1/2 T. each of Dried Basil, Oregano, and Parsley
* 1 t. each Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper
* 1 sprinkle of Crushed Red Pepper
(optional, but why not?)
* Pecorino Romano cheese for serving
1. Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil.
2. In a medium saucepan, cook sausage in 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Cook for about 15 minutes, turning sausages over halfway.
3. While sausage is cooking, place a large saucepan over medium heat and add 1/3 cup of oil and onions. Cook until onions are translucent.
4. Add the wine and simmer for 2 minutes.
5. Add in all other remaining ingredients, except for 1 tablespoon of olive oil and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Once sausage is finished, slice into 1/2 inch discs and set aside.
7. In the sausage pan, break up frozen asparagus and sautée with 1 tablespoon of olive oil until browned. Set aside with sausage.
8. Cook tortellini in boiling water according to package directions (Remember: fresh pasta cooks much faster than dried!) and drain.
9. Add tortellini, sausage, and asparagus to tomato sauce and mix all together.