A food lover and Stay-At-Home-Mom's tales and recipes from her kitchen
Spicy Sausage, Broccoli Rabe, and Provolone Hero
* 8 fresh spicy sausage links
* 4 6 inch hero (hoagie, sub) rolls
* 2 c. broccoli rabe
* 8-12 slices of provolone, depending upon size of hero
* 12 hot and sweet cherry peppers, halved
* 2 T. olive oil
* crushed red pepper (optional)
1. Preheat (toaster) oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat oil in a small pan over medium heat.
3. Cook sausages for 8-10 minutes and shake the pan to turn sausages. Cook for another 7-10 minutes.
4. Slice sausages into 1/2 inch discs and set aside.
5. Slice heroes in half lengthwise.
6. Place 2-3 pieces of provolone on both sides inside of the hero. Toast in toaster oven for 3-5 minutes on medium heat.
7. Microwave broccoli rabe for 2 minutes. Use a fork to drain excess liquid.
8. Assemble sandwiches: place sausage discs inside the hero followed by 1/2 cup of broccoli rabe. Add 6 halved cherry peppers on top of the broccoli rabe. Repeat with all sandwiches.
9. Close sandwiches and toast in oven for 2 minutes.