A food lover and Stay-At-Home-Mom's tales and recipes from her kitchen
Greek Chicken, Veggie, and Asiago Gyro Pita
* 2 chicken breasts, sliced thick
* 4 T. olive oil
* 2 c. broccoli rabe
* 2 roasted red peppers
* 8 slices asiago cheese
* 4 gyro pitas
* crushed red pepper, for serving (optional)
* 3 1/4 T. Greek seasoning blend
* 1/4 t. each garlic powder, marjoram, rosemary, parsley, basil, oregano, thyme
* 1/8 t. each nutmeg and cinnamon
* 1/2 t. dried dill
* 1 t. pepper and salt
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan over medium heat.
2. Mix herbs and spices in a small bowl if you’re not using the Greek seasoning blend. Toss chicken with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and greek seasoning.
3. Cook chicken for 8-10 minutes and then flip. Cook chicken for an additional 8-10 minutes or until thickest part of breast reads 165 on a meat thermometer.
4. Once chicken is cooked, remove from heat and slice into strips. Set aside.
5. In the microwave, heat up broccoli rabe for 2 minutes.
6. Place pita in a large pan over medium heat. Take 2 pieces of cheese and place them onto the pita. Heat until the bottom of the pita gets browned, about 5 minutes. Repeat with 3 other sandwiches.
7. Assemble the gyros: Place 10 strips of seasoned chicken inside the pita, followed by 1/4 cup of broccoli rabe, and 3 roasted pepper strips.