A food lover and Stay-At-Home-Mom's tales and recipes from her kitchen
Crumbled Sausage Flatbread Pizza with Sautéed Pepper and Onion Purée
* 4 eight inch Garlic & Herb Naan Flatbreads
* 3 large Red Bell Peppers, sliced
* 1 small Onion, sliced
* 6 Sausage Links, sweet or hot
* 4 c. Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
* 1/4 c. Grated Pecorino Romano Cheese
* 4 T. Olive Oil, separated
* Crushed Red Pepper, optional
* 1/4 c. plus 4 T. Water, separated
* Preheat oven to 300 degrees
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan over medium heat.
2. Squeeze meat out of casings into heated oil, and break apart with a spatula. Cover.
3. Sautee the sausage for about 10-13 minutes, or until sausage is fully browned. Drain and set sausage aside.
4. In the same pan, Add remaining oil.
5. Toss in peppers and onions and cover.
6. After about 5 minutes, uncover the peppers and onions and sauté.
7. Add in 1/4 cup of water and cover. Cook for another 5-7 minutes and remove from heat.
8. Place peppers and onions in food processer with 4 tablespoons of water and blend until smooth.
9. Place flatbreads in preheated oven for 5 minutes.
Assemble and Cook Flatbreads:
1. Spread about 3-4 tablespoons of the pepper puree onto each toasted flatbread.
2. Next, add about 1/3 cup of crumbled sausage to each flatbread.
3. Then, sprinkle 1/2 cup of mozzarella on top.
4. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of grated Pecorino Romano on top of the pizza.
5. Toast flatbreads in the oven until cheese is fully melted, about 5-7 minutes.