A food lover and Stay-At-Home-Mom's tales and recipes from her kitchen
Chicken Tortilla Soup
* 8 c. chicken broth
* 2 chicken breasts, cleaned
* 1 14.5 oz. can roasted tomatoes with green chiles (do not drain!)
* 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 15 oz. can corn, drained
* 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
* 1 clove garlic, crushed
* 1/2 jalapeño seeded, deveined, and finely chopped (optional)
* 3 T. olive oil
* 1 t. salt
* 2 t. pepper
* 1/2 c. freshly squeezed lime juice
* 3/4 c. fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
* tortilla chips, broken into pieces
* sour cream
* shredded Mexican cheese blend
1. Cut up chicken into bite sized chunks and season with salt and pepper.
2. In a large pot, heat oil and garlic. Add onion and jalapeños after 2 minutes. Stir.
3. Once the onions are translucent, add chicken and stir. Let it cook for 2 minutes.
4. Pour in the chicken broth and fire roasted tomatoes.
5. Add in the black beans and corn. Stir. Bring pot to a boil.
6. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes.
7. Remove soup from heat and add chopped cilantro, and lime juice.
8. Ladle soup into a bowl and top with cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips.