A food lover and Stay-At-Home-Mom's tales and recipes from her kitchen
Butternut Squash and Sausage Pasta Bake
* 1 pound of tube pasta, such as rigatoni
* 8 sweet sausage links
* 1/4 large red onion, diced
* 1 clove of garlic, crushed
* 1 16 oz. can of butternut squash puree
* 1/8 t. nutmeg
* 1/8 t. cinnamon
* 2 1/2 c. shredded fontina or mozzarella cheese
* 1/4 c. grated Pecorino Romano cheese, separated
* 1/2 t. pepper
* 1/4 t. salt
* 3 T. flour
* 2 cups chicken broth
* 4 T. olive oil, separated
* 2 sprigs of fresh thyme leaves (removed from stems) or 1/2 t. dried
* dried parsley, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
3. Place 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium sized pan over medium heat. Add sausages.
4. Cook sausages for 15–18 minutes, turning them halfway through.
5. Place another pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
6. Add garlic and onions. Let cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. While the garlic and onions are cooking, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
8. Add butternut squash purée, chicken broth, salt, pepper and thyme. Stir.
9. Cook for 3 minutes. Whisk in flour a little at a time so it doesn’t clump, until sauce thickens.
10. Add in 1/8 cup Pecorino Romano cheese and stir. Remove from heat.
11. Slice sausage into 1/2 inch discs and set aside.
12. Grease a 9×13 inch casserole dish and add in pasta and sausage. Toss.
13. Pour in butternut squash sauce and mix well.
14. Too with shredded fontina and remaining Pecorino Romano. Sprinkle parsley if desired.
15. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.